CNN.com: Disney worker killed by parade float
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Florida (AP)—A costumed Disney World employee was run over and killed by a float during a parade at the Magic Kingdom.
The death occurred in a backstage area near the Splash Mountain ride Wednesday afternoon, said Jim Solomons, a spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Office.
Disney spokeswoman Rena Langley said Javier Cruz, 38, of Orlando, was about to enter the park when he was hit, and she wasn't sure if any visitors witnessed what happened.
Sheriff's spokesman Carlos Torres said the investigation showed the death was accidental. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration also was investigating.
In 1999, a worker in the loading area of the Skyway ride fell to his death, and OSHA fined the park $4,500 for what it called a serious safety violation. The ride was closed later that year.
Second death in less than a year at a Disney theme park.
All posts about injuries or deaths in Disney theme parks (most recent listed first):
- Another death at a Disney park (08/05/05)
- Roller coaster accident at Disney's theme park injures 15 (07/30/05)
- Young boy dies on Epcot attraction (06/14/05)
- Disney float knocks woman unconscious (12/29/04)
- Disney worker killed by parade float (02/11/04)
- Disneyland probes roller-coaster accident (09/07/03)
- Disneyland roller-coaster accident kills one, injures 10 (09/05/03)